Chicken feeders come in many different sizes, shapes, and styles.
If you want a great chicken feeder, you need to have a general idea of the number of chickens you are going to be feeding and how much they eat.
Some feeders are going to come assembled, and others will take quite a bit of time to put together.
If you need something suitable for indoors, there are options for that.
We put together a list of the top ten best chicken feeders out there.
We have options for every budget and some great feeders for those of you who are tired of wasting food each week.
Top 10 Best Chicken Feeders
1. Chicken Feeder—Holds 20 Pounds
- 🐓 For chickens 12 weeks and older. (Younger/smaller chickens can crawl in the port) No-Roost Cap included! Place feeder anywhere in your yard/run and the feed stays dry. No need to put it under cover.
- 🐓 MADE IN THE USA with US and Global Parts!
- 🐓 No more squirrels, wild birds, mice or rats getting into your coop looking for feed on the ground 99% of feed stays in the feeder - Even with your most wasteful hen!
- 🐓 100% Food Grade and BPA Free Plastic - Comes fully assembled - Simply fill with feed and it's ready for your hens. Holds 20 pounds of feed! Refill once every 30 days for 2 hens, 14 days for 4 hens and once every week for 8 hens
- 🐓 Available in Center or Corner placement Models
- Holds 20 pounds
- Comes assembled
- Does not need to be refilled often
One of the most challenging factors when it comes to feeding chickens is making sure it is only the chickens being fed.
Not only does it get expensive to feed all the other animals, but you don’t want squirrels and rats getting mixed in with the chicken food.
Luckily, with this chicken feeder, you do not have to worry.
This is a very widely recognized and best-selling chicken feeder for chickens that are twelve weeks and older.
It is not recommended for younger chickens because they can crawl into the port and get hurt or stuck.
There is a cap on this chicken feeder included with your purchase.
If you don’t have your chicken feeder in a place that is covered, the cap will help to keep the food from going bad inside.
This is an excellent feature considering the feeder can hold twenty pounds of food.
This means that, if you have four hens, you will only need to refill the feeder about every fourteen days.
Spreading out your work is always positive!
There is very little food spilled when using this feeder.
For the functionality you get, this feeder comes at a great price.
- A very clean way to feed
- Do not have to refill all that often
- Cap to keep food dry
- Will need to order several of these if you have a lot of chickens. That could get expensive
2. Plastic Poultry Feeder
- 6Lb Capacity; 5 Different Feed Flow Rates; Pan Is Plastic; Handle And Clips Are Metal
- 5 Different Feed Flow Rates
- No Assembly Required
- Holds six pounds
- Has five feed flow rates
- Metal handles
If you want something a bit more economical than our top choice, this plastic poultry feeder is a great choice.
This is a standard chicken feeder which will hold about six pounds of food.
You will likely be left to refill this feeder every day or so, depending on the number of chickens you have.
You can control how much food is released using this feeder because there are five different flow rates.
This is a nice feature which helps to ensure your chickens are getting the proper amount of food without having to monitor it yourself regularly.
The product itself is made from a polypropylene material which holds up quite well in various weather conditions.
The handle and the clips are made with metal, so they will not quickly break down.
The feeder comes completely assembled, and all you will have to do is fill it and put it out for the chickens.
- Good for multiple chickens
- Has food flow rates
- Holds up well outdoors
- Does not come with a cap
3. OverEZ Chicken Feeder, Holds 50 LBS of Feed, No Spill, Outside/Inside Use, Automatic
- EXTRA LARGE FEED STORAGE. The OverEZ chicken feeder allows three birds to feed at once and holds up to 50 pounds of feed to avoid recurring maintenance. With a chicken coop accessory this efficient, you’ll only have to refill every 4-6 weeks for 3-5 hens, 2-3 weeks for 6-11 hens, or every 1-2 weeks for 12-15 hens.
- COUNTRY TOUGH DURABILITY. Our chicken coop feeder can be used as both an indoor and outdoor feed dispenser. UV-protected and food-safe, our BPA-free chicken feeder is made of recyclable plastic so there’ll be no waste before, during, or after using your OverEZ feeder for fowl.
- NO-WASTE FEEDING DESIGN: The three smart-feeding ports are designed to prevent chickens from soiling or spilling feed, meaning less wasted feed and a cleaner coop for your birds. When it rains, the port overhang and hidden recessed channel prevent runoff water from leaking into the feeder and ruining large amounts of feed for your chickens.
- EASY CLEANING & MAINTENANCE: The poultry feeder can be cleaned and refilled on the ground, unlike other chicken feeders. The wide-mouth opening allows you to easily fill the chicken coop feeder and replace the lid to keep water out.
- GRAVITY-FED: As chickens eat from the feeding ports, the angled design easily allows food to flow directly down for the chicken’s easy reach. The shallow base saves time by allowing your chickens to easily reach the bottom of the feeder. DIMENSIONS: 22 3/4" L X 12 1/2" D X 16 1/4" H
- Very clean
- Holds 50 pounds of food
- No need to refill continually
The Over EZ is a premium chicken feeder.
With this feeder, you can hold fifty pounds of feed, and it can be placed either indoors or outdoors.
You will experience no waste with this feeder, and it works very well for chickens twelve weeks and older.
Remember, with feeders like this where the chickens need to put their heads in to eat, the younger chickens will not be able to participate.
You will end up saving a lot of money on feed when you purchase a unit like this.
There is no waste at all, and you won’t be attracting any unwanted visitors, either.
The food will stay dry with the port overhang and the recessed channel which prevents water from sneaking in.
This is a gravity-fed unit, so as the chickens eat, more food will flow down.
This makes things much easier on you, and depending on how many chickens you have, you could leave this for weeks without ever having to refill.
When it does come time to refill, there is a lid you remove and replace when completed.
- Keeps food dry
- Holds quite a bit of food
- No waste
- Premium pricing
4. Grandpa’s Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder
- BUILT TO LAST: Unlike other chicken feeders, Grandpa's Feeders have a high quality galvanized Steel finish, which is built to last in the toughest outdoor conditions. Grandpa's Feeders are the original automatic chicken feeders and they have been made and sold for over Twenty Years.
- FEED ON DEMAND - Grandpa's Feeders provide Feed on Demand for your flock. At the same time Grandpa's Feeders also provide a protected way of feeding your backyard chickens on demand, allowing them to access their food when hungry, ensuring optimal laying and happy chickens. Grandpa's Feeders also allow a number of chickens to eat at once.
- LARGE FEED CAPACITY: The Standard Automatic Feeder will hold 20 lbs (9kg) of feed. This feeds approximately 6 chickens for 10 days as a guide. The Standard size is suitable for all chickens, pheasants and is designed for smaller flocks of up to 12 chickens.
- SAVE MONEY: Many customers tell us that their Grandpa’s Feeder paid for itself in its first year simply by cutting down on their poultry food bill, not to mention the time saved not having to rush home to feed their chickens every day. The built in anti-flick grill stops chickens throwing food out, saving on wasted chicken feed.
- TRUSTED FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS: Proven design, sold worldwide. Don’t be fooled, Grandpa's Feeders have been around the longest compared to other companies. Our latest model includes side guards mean that chickens must stand on the treadplate to feed. Having a larger opening enables even roosters with large combs to access feed easily. This is the result of testing and providing customer focused solutions that work! An Automatic Chicken Feeder Solution that Works!
- Galvanized steel finish
- Been around for 20 years
- Large feed capacity
Anytime you see a product with a name like Grandpa’s Feeders, you know you are getting something that once solved plenty of problems for an owner of chickens.
This is undoubtedly the case with Grandpa’s Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder.
The feeder has been made for over twenty years, and they offer an easy and economical way to feed your flock.
The Grandpa’s Feeder will hold twenty pounds of food and can feed six chickens for about ten days.
You can leave the Grandpa’s Feeder out at all times as the food is protected, and the chickens can graze when they want.
This feeder allows several chickens to eat at the same time.
There is an anti-flick grill which keeps chickens from throwing their food outside of the feeder.
These feeders have been rigorously tested, and although they are a bit more money than other options, you will save quite a bit on wasted food.
- Helps save money on food
- Can feed several chickens at once
- Holds twenty pounds
- Priced a little higher because of galvanized materials
5. Little Giant Round Hanging Poultry Feeder Galvanized
- REDUCES SPILLING - This hanging waterer is designed to reduce spillage and soiling of water.
- GRAVITY FEEDING DESIGN - This hanging waterer has a low maintenance design that uses a gravity-water design to provide water as it is needed in the waterer.
- EASY TO MOUNT OR HOOK - This waterer has built-in hooks that make hanging the waterer and changing is position simple.
- SAFE DESIGN - The waterer has a rounded, embossed edge to reduce chafing and chance of injury.
- WATERER CAPACITY - This poultry waterer has a 1-pint capacity.
- Space saver
- Very low price
- Easy to mount
All of the feeders in our review have been somewhat involved and built for many chickens.
This Little Giant Round Hanging Poultry Feeder is undoubtedly the exception.
This feeder is a straightforward design, but it is exceptionally functional.
If you were looking to get a bargain on a product, this is also the way to go.
The design is built to reduce spillage and soiling of the food, but it won’t do quite the same job as some of the more high-end feeders.
The Little Giant is gravity fed so more food will release as the chickens eat.
Mounting the Little Giant takes about two minutes, and you can quickly move it from one spot to the next if you need to.
- Low priced model
- Easy to mount
- Front edge helps some food from spilling
- Highly functional
- Does not hold a large amount of food
- Hard for more than one chicken to eat at once
6. PawHut Automatic Chicken and Poultry No-Waste Feeder with Protective Lid
- BUILT TO LAST: Built with high quality galvanized steel finish and protective lid made the chicken feeder to last tough outdoor weather no matter if it's scorching sun, a light rainstorm or snowfall.
- LARGE FEED CAPACITY: Holds 25lbs of feed. Can feed up to 10 chickens at the same time on both sides. The suitable size is applied to all chickens, pheasants, turkeys and more.
- ANIMAL BANDIT PROOF: Heavy-duty feeder material and closed head cover leaves you no more problems with wild birds, rats, squirrels, or any other animals trying to steal feed. Mesh fence on feed outlet to help chicken get used to their new feeder quickly.
- TIME-SAVER: No need to rush home to feed your hens any more with our chicken feeder. Semi-closed design reduces feed spills and wastage. The openable lid provides a quick feed filling and easy maintenance.
- DIMENSION: Overall Dimension: 11.75" L x 11.75 D x 15.75" H. No assembly required.
- Can feed a lot of chickens at once
- No waste
- Won’t let other animals steal food
Next on our list is the PawHut Automatic Chicken and Poultry No-Waste Feeder.
This is a high-end model built with galvanized steel and a protective lid.
If you want the best of the best for your chickens, this is a great option to consider.
One thing we like about PawHut is that it can feed ten chickens at the same time.
The feeder allows chickens to eat on both sides, making this an excellent option for those trying to feed a large crowd.
If you have a large flock of chickens and you want to save yourself some time, this is a great option.
When you need to refill this feeder, you can simply open the lid and pour in another twenty-five pounds of feed.
- Easy to refill
- Feeds many chickens at once
- Partially enclosed design
- Won’t need it if you only have a few chickens
7. Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder
- Harris Farms Galvanized Hanging Poultry Feeder, 15 lbs
- Heavy-duty galvanized steel construction
- Rolled edges for safety and a convenient hanger/carry handle
- Spring loaded clips for easy set-up and adjustment
- Designed to minimize waste
- Easy to hang
- Available in 15-pound or 30-pound capacity
- Galvanized Steel construction
The Harris Farms Hanging Poultry Feeder is another classic hanging feeder design.
You can fill this with fifteen or thirty pounds of feed.
The one thing to be aware of is that there is no top for this feeder.
If you are going to put thirty pounds of food in here, you will want to make sure it’s going to be covered somehow.
The feeder is made from heavy-duty galvanized steel.
This is not going to rust, and it won’t start breaking apart on you when chickens begin to peck away at it.
As far as the safety features, you will notice this unit has rolled edges to protect both humans and chickens.
The overall design is set up to help minimize waste, but there will still be some food dropping on the ground.
If you have a large farm and need a quick solution to feed the chickens, this is undoubtedly a great choice which will hold up for many years.
- Rolled edges for safety
- Traditional hanging feeder
- Galvanized steel is durable
- There will be some waste
- No top
8. Little Giant Plastic Dome Feeder
- GRAVITY FED DESIGN - This feed container provides feed flow at a constant rate using its complete top-filled, gravity-fed design with a 45 pound capacity.
- HIGHLY DURABLE - This feed tank is made of heavy-duty plastic that is designed to withstand heat, cold, and cracks.
- EASY ASSEMBLY - The feed container base can be easily assembled and disassembled, and features an easily removable Feed Saver ring minimizes spillage.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - The feeding container has three legs that keep the feeder off of the ground. The feed jar is molded from durable transparent plastic so the capacity level is always visible.
- LARGE CAPACITY - This container's large capacity features a volume of 45 lbs, and has dimensions of 26.5" L by 18.25" W by 18.25" H.
- Keeps constant flow of food
- Gravity filled
- Holds up to 45 pounds
The Little Giant Plastic Dome Feeder is not just a chicken feeder; it is a time saver.
This is a very reasonably priced model considering it can hold up to 45 pounds of food.
The tank is very durable and made with a high-quality plastic designed to be left outdoors and able to handle various weather conditions.
There are three legs on the container which help to keep it off the ground.
The only issue is that it doesn’t keep it all that far off the ground.
Other animals can climb in and eat from it.
You will only spend a few minutes of your time getting this feeder put together.
Our favorite part of this particular unit is that it can hold so much, but it also has a cap.
The cap helps make sure the food does not spoil, and the feed saver ring around the bottom will keep things from getting too messy.
- Holds 45 pounds of food
- Heavy-duty plastic
- Quick to put together
- Not that high off the ground
9. POPETPOP Chicken Feeder Trough
- Prevent food from dirty effectively, clean and safe.
- Poultry chick feeder,Using high quality material, safety and health and durable.
- Suitable for all kind of small bird, such as parrot, budgie, cockatiel, peony, pigeons and other small birds.
- Many slot design provide more place for pigeon and birds.
- Chicken plastic feeders,Easy to remove and fill, easy to clean.
- Keeps food from getting dirty
- Easy to clean
- Easy to refill
As we mentioned, there are many types of chicken feeders.
The Trough type feeder is an excellent choice if you want an easy to fill and easy to clean solution.
With the POPETPOP Chicken feeder, you can feed many chickens at once, and it only takes a second or two to refill.
You will notice that there are some bars on the top of the feeder that will prevent birds from climbing up and getting the food dirty.
This feeder is a plastic material, so it is easy to clean and rinse out from time to time.
The only real downside to the trough type feeder is that it won’t keep the surrounding area all that clean.
You will have to prepare for the fact that some food is going to spill around the trough area.
- Very low pricing
- Feed many chickens at once
- Easy to rinse and clean
- Does not have a top
- There will be some food spilled on the ground
10. Little Giant Plastic Fence Feeder with Clips
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - The plastic feed trough is perfect for hanging as it features clipson the back that allow for easy mounting on wire fencing or rope.
- ULTRA DURABLE - The plastic bucket is made of highly durable polyethylene resin that is impact resistant, protects against warpage, and helps prevent stress cracks.
- EASY TO MOUNT - The plastic feed bucket can be permanently mounted on a wall or rail with fencing staples or lag screws (not included).
- VERSATILE USE - Perfect for a large variety of use cases such as holding water or food, this bucket holds 4.5 quarts.
- MANY OPTIONS AVAILABLE - These premium feeding buckets are available in 2 colors, as well as two different sizes, 4.5 quarts and 9 quarts.
- Simple design
- Comes with clips to hang
- Helps to minimalize waste
For the last option on our list, we wanted something extraordinarily straightforward and easy to use.
If you like simple, quick solutions to getting chickens fed, we can certainly understand.
It doesn’t get much more straightforward than a trough-style feeder hanging on a fence.
This model comes with the clips which allow you to attach it to a wire fence easily.
You can be up and running a few minutes after unpackaging the fence feeder.
The durable design is going to hold up for years to come.
You can get this model in a few colors and sizes to properly fit the needs of your animals.
- Low priced
- Easy to hang
- Simple solution
- Has no cover
- Some food will spill
Hopefully, our top ten best chicken feeders will help you find a model that works for you.
Keep in mind that you need to be sure you have a solution for keeping your chickens’ feed dry.
Once you have that figured out, consider how much food you want them to waste and then choose carefully from there.
For a smaller flock, it may make sense to go with the more high-end smaller feeder which offers no waste.
You will make up the difference in food costs in a short period.
The Cold Wire is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs and may receive a commission if you purchase a product via a link on this page.