The New York Yankees have been without Anthony Rizzo since August 3, when he was placed on the 10-day injured list with post-concussion syndrome.
The team traces his injury back to late-May, when he collided with San Diego Padres star Fernando Tatis Jr. at first base.
The player felt symptoms that forced the Yankees to put him on the shelf, but his performance dipped considerably after that Tatis play and that should have been an alarming sign that something was wrong with him.
He felt tired and “foggy” but attributed it to the long season.
Then it was revealed his reaction times weren’t where they should be, which resulted in the IL stint.
There is some positive news to report, though.
“Anthony Rizzo will head back to NYC for more testing tomorrow. He said he feels like he is progressing. He did some light agility in the outfield today and walked at an incline on the treadmill,” Yankees insider Meredith Marakovits tweeted.
Anthony Rizzo will head back to NYC for more testing tomorrow. He said he feels like he is progressing. He did some light agility in the outfield today and walked at an incline on the treadmill #yankees
— Meredith Marakovits (@M_Marakovits) August 14, 2023
It might not mean he is 100-percent healthy, because he isn’t, but it represents tangible progress.
Rizzo also told Marakovits that team doctors advised him not to do any jumping or jerking movements at this time.
With the Yankees being so far from a postseason spot, there might not be a need to bring Rizzo back until he is truly 100 percent, and that’s the only way he and the team should consider a return to action.
For the season, the first baseman is hitting .244/.328/.378 with 12 home runs and a .706 OPS.NEXT: Yankees Shortstop Has Improved Drastically Since Major Change