The weather in New York City has been far from promising for a few days now.
As a reminder, the weather forecast forced MLB to postpone Game 2 of the American League Division Series between the New York Yankees and the Cleveland Guardians from Thursday to Friday last week.
Now, it is threatening to force the league to make some changes again.
The play ball voice is currently scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, but those plans could change any minute and depend entirely on whether it could rain or not.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, said he was scheduled to be on a Zoom call this afternoon to discuss weather.
Boone told Hoch he has heard that the forecast for tonight is “not great.”
Rain Is Putting A Cloud On Game 5’s Outlook
At the very least, it’s likely that the situation could lead to a delayed start to the game, which would be problematic for two teams that are playing for the fourth straight day.
Additionally, if they do play, the winning team will need to use Tuesday to travel to Houston, where the Astros await to start the Championship Series.
Boone clarified what he would prefer if the decision depended on him.
“Boone said that he would prefer not to wait around until 9:30 or so to start tonight’s game. Ultimately, the call will rest with MLB,” Hoch tweeted.
Boone said that he would prefer not to wait around until 9:30 or so to start tonight’s game. Ultimately, the call will rest with MLB. https://t.co/CgStHi0kir
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) October 17, 2022
The problem is that postponing the game for Tuesday could be hard to achieve given the tight schedule and the trip to Houston.
MLB will likely direct all its efforts to completing the game by tonight.
We will see what happens in the next few hours.