The New York Giants have been under immense scrutiny as of late, given that they were unable to sign Saquon Barkley to a contract extension.
Barkley is now slated to play under the franchise tag, assuming he signs the tag before the season begins.
Many believe that Barkley’s contract should far exceed the tagged number, especially after hearing reports of what the Giants offered.
The New York Post reported that Barkley was offered $22 million guaranteed.
In response to this, former NFL executive Joe Banner said, “That’s an awful offer.”
Six RB’s got about $12/yr when cap was much much lower. That’s an awful offer. Can’t understand how people are making it sound like Giants were fair and Barkley was unreasonable. https://t.co/qJRqjjIAmZ
— Joe Banner (@JoeBanner13) July 18, 2023
He also said, “Can’t understand how people are making it sound like Giants were fair and Barkley was unreasonable.”
In Banner’s eyes, the Giants should have done more to retain Barkley, especially given his worth to the organization.
Barkley was a massive part of their offense last year, a main contributor for a team that made the playoffs, winning a postseason game in the process.
He has recently spoken out about the situation, torn about what to do moving forward.
Because the deadline to sign an extension has now passed, Barkley can either play under the tag or sit out for the entire 2023 season.
There have been several analysts and former players on both sides of the issue, publicly supporting Barkley in one way or another.
Banner appears to be on Barkley’s side, as he believes he should have been paid more.
How will Barkley decide to move forward in 2023, knowing that he isn’t tied to the Giants beyond the upcoming season?NEXT: Analyst Goes After Giants For 'Botching' Saquon Barkley Deal