Justin Herbert has been a catalyst for change within the Los Angeles Chargers organization.
The team had been looking for a quarterback who could replace Philip Rivers’ production, and be able to lead the team moving forward.
It appears that the team was very successful in their search and that they are committed to Herbert for the long haul.
In a recent article from Bobby Kownack of NFL.com, he writes “Herbert has been everything that the Chargers could want.”
(ICYMI) Chargers GM Tom Telesco not losing sleep over Justin Herbert's looming payday: "That's a good problem to have"https://t.co/xG9RJfq4b0 pic.twitter.com/GWfZcqY5n7
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) April 2, 2023
Tom Telesco, the Chargers’ general manager, has recently commented on the organization’s feelings on Herbert.
“You have a franchise quarterback that’s now moving into a franchise veteran quarterback.”
“There’s a lot that will go into it, obviously, with these type of contracts and the numbers that it’s gonna be, but it’s just a good problem to have,” Telesco said.
If Telesco’s comments are any indication, Herbert isn’t going anywhere.
The organization has found its footing under him, and Herbert has continued to develop, evolve, and change his game to meet the demands of an NFL season.
As Kownack indicates throughout this article, the Chargers might want to extend Herbert sooner than later, given the amount of quarterback contract extensions that are looming.
“The 25-year-old’s price tag while doing so will vastly change the cash flow available at other positions,” said Kownack.
The Chargers have recently restructured the contracts of Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, leaving Herbert with two veteran receivers.
However, when a team has the Super Bowl well within its sights, it will do whatever it takes to win.NEXT: Mina Kimes Highlights An Area The Chargers Must Focus On In The Draft