The New York Yankees were forced to improvise during their most recent road trip, as first baseman and slugger Anthony Rizzo had been dealing with tightness in his back.
This is something that has plagued the 2016 World Series champion for the past several seasons, and the issue arose again over the weekend.
However, Rizzo himself isn’t too concerned about the issue and says that it isn’t something that people need to worry about as of now.
On Twitter, Jon Heyman of the New York Post revealed what Rizzo had to say about his ongoing back issue.
Rizzo says he feels fine and tells the Post: “I know it’s always going to cause concern whenever [people hear] a tight back but it’s not to be really worried about at this time.” https://t.co/AVTEQWA66V
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 14, 2023
Rizzo acknowledged that it’s natural for something like this to cause a little concern, but stated that he isn’t too alarmed by it.
The 33-year-old joined the Yankees at the trade deadline in 2021 after being acquired from the Chicago Cubs.
He re-signed with the Yankees for the 2022 season, but opted out of the final year of his deal and became a free agent again.
Rizzo is now under contract through the 2024 season.
This is encouraging news for the Yankees.
While the back issue is something that they might want to keep an eye on, it appears that Rizzo isn’t too concerned about things and is confident he can work through any issues.
Rizzo is a key piece of a powerful lineup that already features Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Gleyber Torres, DJ LeMahieu, and Jose Trevino.
Having him healthy will be important for the Yankees in 2023 as they look to bounce back from their ALCS loss at the hands of the Houston Astros.NEXT: Josh Donaldson Discusses His 2023 Outlook