Those plans changed when he reportedly was placed on the COVID-19 list in the afternoon.
Clarke Schmidt took the ball in his place and did a marvelous job against a really solid offense.
However, on Thursday night, it was revealed that Severino was reinstated from the COVID-19 list.
Bryan Hoch, who covers the Yankees for MLB.com, told via Twitter that, “Luis Severino is negative for COVID-19 and will travel with the #Yankees to Toronto, Aaron Boone said.”
Luis Severino is negative for COVID-19 and will travel with the #Yankees to Toronto, Aaron Boone said.
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) June 17, 2022
That tweet came in around 10 p.m. on Thursday, so everything happened quickly.
What happened was that Severino felt some symptoms, and that’s why he was placed on the COVID-19 list.
Severino Tested Negative For COVID
Fortunately for the Yankees, he tested negative for the virus, and since he is vaccinated, protocols allow for a quick reinstatement.
The Yankees ended up sweeping the Rays, and while they didn’t quite got the length that they probably would have gotten from Severino, things worked out in the end.
Now, since he is reportedly feeling better, Severino will be a part of the the Yankees’ contingent making the trip to Toronto.
The right-hander, who has been battling numerous injury issues from 2019 to 2021, is currently enjoying a relatively healthy season.
He is sporting a 2.80 ERA in 11 starts and 61 innings so far in 2022.
He is looking like his old Cy Young-candidate self (which he was in 2017 and 2018, before injuries set his career back), with 10.48 strikeouts per nine innings and 2.21 walks.
He may not be able to pitch 200 frames, or even 170, but he will give the Yankees excellent per-inning production for as long as he is healthy.