Shopping for socks can be a bit more involved than you think.
There are so many different types of socks on the market that it is nearly impossible to have just one type in your wardrobe.
If you are thinking you may need a new pair of socks, this is a great place to start.
Let’s look at some of the different types of socks so that you can make an informed decision about which is best for your needs.
40 Types of Socks
1. No Show Socks
- Stock up on must-have basics with this pack of no-show athletic socks featuring a zone cushion in the heel and toe
- Zone mesh designed for ventilation and breathability to manage moisture and provide comfort
- Arch Compression for support and stability to reduce foot fatigue - helps keeps sock in place
- Zone Cushioning on the ball and heel of the foot for protection and comfort in high impact areas
- Everyday made better: we listen to customer feedback and fine-tune every detail to ensure quality, fit, and comfort
- Reinforced heel and toe for long lasting durability
If you don’t want to see the sock that you have on at all, the no-show is a great choice.
Many people like these types of socks when they are playing sports or even sometimes to wear with loafers.
No-show socks come in both athletic and dressy materials.
2. Ankle Socks
Ankle socks are some of the most popular on the market.
They do a great job of staying on your feet, and they protect the entire foot at all times.
Ankle socks are great under your pants, or they can work with shorts as well.
Just be sure to coordinate the color with your outfit because you will be able to see these.
3. Ankle Socks With Cushion
- Breathable: These running socks are made of combed cotton, help quickly absorb moisture and release sweat, mesh ventilation in arch can release the heat and keep your feet dry all day. The sports socks are in great stretch and recovery. You can wear these athletic socks for a long time not worrying about the easily broken problem.
- Friction & Shock Protection: Our ankle socks use the seamless toe design, reducing the friction between toes and shoes to prevent blister. Cushion on the toe and in bottom with thicker yarn , reduces the impact of friction when your move. These low cut socks are fit for men that are also the best choice for running, walking, playing all kinds of balls, outside and inside activities.
- Non Slip Off: Our tab socks have suitable compression in arch to protect you when you walk, jog and run and increase stability for a perfect fit. Elastic cuff tab can lock the heel and make sure our sports socks non-slip in order to prevent athletic sock sliding from your daily walking, running, cycling, hiking, tennis.
- 4 Sizes To Choose: Different from the sport socks only one size on the market, we have 4 sizes from S to XL for options to meet the demands of you as well as your family and your friends. You will find what you need in this style.
- CelerSport Best Customer Service: Order now and find the different on your feet. you will be 100% satisfied with our athletic socks! If you have any problem in size, or if you have any quality problem, please contact us, we will send a replacement to you or we will refund you. We only want to give you the best service!
Some ankle socks come with a cushion at the back of the sock, and this cushion helps to keep the sock up and keep you more comfortable.
Cushions are popular on socks, and they are often used for certain sports like golf, where you will be in your socks for quite a long period of time.
4. Non Slip Invisible Sock
- REINFORCEMENT OF THE TOE: Due to the relatively high pressure received by the toe, it is difficult for a layer of fabric to resist high-strength friction.
- COMFORTABLE:400 needle knitted, fibre with strong elasticity.Soft,Breathable,Elastic,Quick-Drying,Machine Washable.
- BREATHABLE: The front mesh can effectively keep the feet refreshed all day long!
- NON-SLIP:Three non-slip silicones will be firmly attached to the heel to prevent slipping.
- AFTER-SALE SERVICE：WANDER's customer service will always be there, no matter what problem you have, you can always contact me!
The invisible sock is essentially the same as the no-show.
This will sit below the level of your shoe and not be seen.
No-show socks tend to have a lot of trouble holding their shape because of the way they pull on the big toe, but this non-slip version has reinforcement in place.
5. Crew Socks
Crew socks are longer than ankle socks and will make it about halfway up your leg.
The crew socks are very popular when people have to get dressed up.
One of the great things about crew socks is that they tend to stay in place quite easily.
6. Ventilating Socks
Although we want socks to protect our feet, there is really no reason to be uncomfortable and hot while your sock is on.
A ventilating sock protects but also allows your foot to breathe.
You won’t have to worry about getting as sweaty with this sock in your wardrobe.
7. Heel Tab Socks
Heel tab socks have the cushion that we mentioned with our ankle socks with cushion.
Anytime you see this heel tab, you can count on increased comfort and a better overall fit.
The heel tab is available in both men’s and women’s socks.
8. Quarter Socks
Are you getting confused yet by all the different sock lengths?
We have not even gotten to them all!
These quarter socks are higher than ankles but will not reach the same length as a crew sock.
Quarter length is popular when you must wear dress pants, but the weather is rather warm.
You can stay relatively cool but still keep your feet protected and your ankles covered.
9. Running Socks
When you run, your feet are going to be under a lot of pressure.
Having the right kind of socks is essential.
With the right running socks, you won’t need to worry about the sock slipping down or causing you to have to stop and adjust in the middle of your run.
10. Odor Protection Socks
Some people have naturally sweaty feet.
When these feet are stuck inside a sock and a shoe all day, it can lead to some foot odor that could likely have been avoided.
In addition to making sure your socks are kept clean, choosing something with natural odor protection could be a really smart idea.
11. Reinforced Toe
The Gold Toe or reinforced toe socks have been very popular with men for many years.
With the toe of the sock taking quite a beating in the front of the shoe, the reinforced toe socks help to increase the longevity of the sock.
If you find you constantly have holes in the toe of your sock, this is a great pair to consider.
12. Dress Socks
Some of us wear socks because we need to, and others wear socks because they are interesting and fun.
The dress socks available on the market today come in so many different styles and patterns.
The worst part about some of these socks is that they will be hidden by the pants that you wear.
You will want people to see the interesting patterns that dress socks can come in.
13. Cooling Socks
- X-temp technology speeds and slows cooling to keep you comfortable all day
- Comfort toe seam
- Cushioned foot bottom soothes your sole
If you are a person who tends to get quite hot when walking or exercising, you may want to look into a cooling sock.
With cooling socks, you can rest assured that the fabric will help reduce excess sweat and keep your feet from feeling uncomfortable in the shoe.
14. Patterned Socks
Patterned socks can come in a variety of different lengths.
If you are tired of the traditional black or white socks, there are plenty of options out there for you.
Most of the patterned socks are made with more of a dress type fabric and style than a cotton athletic type.
15. Medical Compression Socks
Sometimes socks can help those who have poor circulation.
Most of the time, the medical compression socks are going to come up quite high on the leg.
This is how they do the best job of helping to improve blood flow while the sock is in place.
16. Wool Hiking Socks
Wool socks do a great job of keeping you warm.
When you are hiking in the winter months, wool socks can make the most sense to provide both protection and comfort.
This is a sock that you will probably want to wear even when not hiking, as it can feel great on your foot.
17. Liner Sock
Some people will call the liner sock a Ped, but that is typically a name brand.
The liner sock is going to sit at the very bottom of the shoe.
These are often worn by women in a pump-type shoe that does not require a full sock.
Having a liner in place helps to decrease sweating and helps with odor control in shoes that you would traditionally not wear with socks.
18. Ankle Compression Socks
- [MORE COMPRESSION FOR EXERCISE] COMPRESSION is proven to improve blood flow, move faster, react quicker and use less energy. Targeted compression zones provide varying levels of support from moderate to extra firm. These ankle compression socks are designed to promote blood circulation and oxygen flow preventing cramping, fatigue, swelling and helps in muscle recovery, plantar fasciitis
- [360 PROTECTION FOR YOUR FEET] The no show compression socks with 3d circular progressive pressure design provide you with permanent all-around protection, ensure your feet at the right angle to reduce sports injuries while providing ankle support
- [PREMIUM BREATHABLE MATERIA] Our low cut compression socks are made of comfortable breathable material with lightweight design. The fabric also helps keep your feet cool by sucking up all the sweat and moisture produced by your feet
- [FIT FOR ATHLETIC, TRAVEL & DAILY WEAR] Our compression running socks (15-20 mmHg) are recommended by doctors and preferred by trainers. Designed for everyday use and boost your performance for any sports activity, yoga, gym, cycling, running, walking, standing, travel, or just sitting on the couch
- [OUR SERVICE] Your comfort is our passion! Use our size chart(the second picture) to choose the perfect fit. If you are not completely satisfied with your premium quality compression socks ankle, return them for a full refund or replacement. No questions asked. We stand behind the quality of our compression low cut socks with excellent customer care and are confident you will LOVE your compression ankle socks
When you think of most compression socks, you will likely think of the longer medical compression socks.
However, there are compression socks available in all sizes.
Each one does the same general thing of keeping the foot supplied with excellent blood flow and comfort.
19. Tube Socks
Tube socks do not have a specific foot that they need to go on.
This is essentially a tube that can fit on your left or your right foot, and you can slide it up your leg with ease.
Tube socks are typically a bit lower in price because the manufacturing process tends to be a bit easier.
20. Grip Socks
Grip socks have little rubber nubs on the bottom of the sock.
These are going to help your foot from sliding, especially if you are walking on wood or tile floors.
Grip socks come in a variety of sizes and are very popular in socks for children.
21. Anti Blister Socks
When you spend a lot of time with socks and shoes on, there is potential for you to get a blister.
Blisters are painful and are typically related to having a bit too much moisture and friction in the shoe.
The best thing to do is look for an anti-blister sock that has the right cushioning and some dry-fit type fabric to keep the blister from developing in the first place.
22. Knee Sock
- Cotton blend sock with top ribbed comfort band for stay-up fit
- Knee high length
- Fits shoe sizes 4-10
- 3 pair pack
- Made in USA
A knee sock is one of the tallest options you will find.
The knee sock is going to come up just shy of your knee and offer a tremendous amount of protection to your leg.
With a knee sock, you will probably be seeing the top of the sock over a boot, so make sure you choose a pattern that you enjoy.
23. Multi Sport Sock
Sometimes sports require that you wear a long sock that will be seen with your uniform.
The multi-sport sock is a great choice that is available in a number of colors and can be purchased to match any uniform.
A multi-sport sock is mostly going to be made of an athletic type of material which is designed to dry quickly yet also provide comfort.
24. Baseball Socks
Baseball players sometimes wear high socks with shorter pants.
This makes the sock selection essential for matching with a uniform and for performance as well.
Baseball socks have come a long way and are now offered with anti-odor and moisture-wicking features as well as cushioning for the most serious of baseball players.
25. Football Crew Sock
Football is a sport that, without a doubt, requires some extra cushioning and padding for the feet.
Choosing a football sock means that you want to keep yourself comfortable but also protected as well.
Football socks tend to offer some extra cushioning and protection to help prevent any potential injuries on the field.
26. Soccer Socks
Soccer socks are worn under shin guards.
The soccer socks need to be relatively thin because of the fact that they are a layer of equipment needed by a soccer player.
Soccer socks are also going to be lightweight so that they don’t slow a runner down in any way.
27. Hockey Socks
Hockey socks are a bit different than other sports socks.
The hockey socks are going to need to go over the padding on the leg.
That is why you will see such a wide opening at the top of this sock, allowing you plenty of room to pull the sock up and over the gear.
28. Basketball Socks
Depending on how serious of a basketball player you are, there are lots of options for socks on the market.
Basketball socks are typically about crew length, and they come in more traditional or more modern styles.
The socks are used to help control moisture and increase comfort as there is a lot of action that takes place in the course of a basketball game.
29. Tennis Socks
- Maximum comfort and protection for the longest matches or anyone who wants maximum comfort and protection
- Features Thorlo legendary padding in the heel, forefoot, sidewalls, and over the toes to protect against the forces inside your shoe
- High durability fibers embedded in the forefoot and toebox area to resist wear
- Padding is clinically shown to reduce blisters, moisture, pain, and pressure
- Anatomical design consistent with natural contours of foot helps promote a better fit
- Exclusive Thor-Lon fibers wick moisture to keep your feet dry
- Fibers are chosen for performance and durability resulting in a sock that wears for years
- Low profile toe seam won't rub or irritate feet
The classic tennis sock was typically crew length.
However, as time has gone by, the sport is becoming a bit more modern, and people are wearing no-show or ankle-length socks when they play tennis.
Regardless, if you want the classic tennis look, you will have to find a pair of white crew socks for your next match.
30. Hospital Sock
Most of us know a hospital to be a cold and sterile type of environment.
For those staying in the hospital, one of the worst parts about it is the cold floors.
These hospital socks keep your feet warm, but they also offer a non-slip feature, so you don’t slide down the hallways of the hospital wing.
31. Slipper Socks
Sometimes it can be hard to draw the line between what a slipper is and what a sock is.
A slipper sock is not meant to be worn with shoes.
You simply place it on your foot to stay warm when indoors.
The slipper socks come in a variety of colors and styles, and you can get them in different sizes as well.
32. Work Boot Sock
- BETTER FOR WORK SHOES AND BOOTS - APTYID Men's work socks are soft, durable, and fit snugly. Features Moisture Control Technology materials to keep you dry and comfortable while you work.
- CUSHIONED COMFORT - The right amount of cushioning under the foot provides comfort, absorbs shock and blister resistance, and relieves foot fatigue and pain during work, long standing and exercise activities.
- STRONG AND DURABLE - Made with a durable and thicker synthetic fabric, the heel and toe are reinforced for durability and to reduce holes to withstand multiple wear and washes.
- COMFORTABLE FIT COMPRESSION - Targeted compression provides reasonable blood circulation and reduces calf swelling. Ribbed arch straps wrap around your midfoot for support and fit, helping the sock stay in place and reducing slippage.
- WELL MADE - Knitted with 144 count, good stretch quality material, ensures that the socks stay in place, stretch freely and hold the shape of the socks well, easy to put on and take off.
A work boot sock is for the person who must be in boots all day.
Although boots are supposed to be comfortable, they are still going to be a bit rough on your feet at times.
With a work boot sock, you can control moisture and keep your foot feeling comfortable while you get through a day of work.
33. Crew Work Sock
- ALL-WEATHER WORK SOCKS: With full arch support and a reinforced heel, these socks are ideal for work or outdoor use. Wear them while doing heavy-duty jobs, camping, hiking, or hunting.
- FOR ALL SEASONS: Designed for all-weather performance, these breathable socks feature a mesh ventilation panel. They'll keep your feet comfortable on the job or while you lounge at home.
- SOFT & COMFORTABLE: Made from premium cotton, these socks offer all-day comfort. Their ribbed cuffs ensure they'll stay put, so you don't have to worry about them slipping or sliding down.
- MOISTURE-WICKING CREW SOCKS: These socks come in white and gray, so they'll complement most shoes and boots. They're cushioned for shock absorption and will wick sweat away.
- MADE ESPECIALLY FOR MEN: These socks are sizes 10–13. They fit USA men’s shoe sizes 6–12.5, making them one-size-fits-most. For best results, machine wash on cold and tumble dry on low.
A crew work sock is for the person who is in a work boot, sneaker, or shoe all day.
The crew work socks are typically made with a bit thicker material because they will wear down rather quickly otherwise.
If the crew work sock is thin, it will get holes in it much too quickly.
34. Over The Knee Socks
The over the knee socks are more of a fashion statement than anything else.
Some people will wear a fashionable sock like this with a skirt or for a special event.
These are not the most practical socks if you are dealing with warm weather and want to try and stay cool.
It is almost like wearing pants when you have these socks on.
35. Knit Wool Socks
- YZKKE: is our REGISTERED BRAND,PLS BUY IT FROM THE STORE "USA-YZKKE SOCKS"; please pay attation on it,we just make best service for parcel which order from "YZKKE",
- Best Gifts Choice: Everybody needs more socks. YZKKE winter warm wool cotton socks make the perfect present for hikers, outdoor walkers, perfect for christmas days or daily wear. Beautiful design for the coming Christmas festival. you also could choose for your girlfriend, daughter, wife, Mother, Mom, as birthdays, Christmas gift. or as women socks gift.
- SIZE & CARE : 5 pack Womens wool socks come is a standard US SIZE that fit shoe sizes from US 5 - 9, so everyone can enjoy these colorful, fashion socks. Please do not iron them and suggesting wash them by hand, high quality socks require the proper care! advice wash before wear!
- MULTI-FUNCTION : Heavyweight for cold weather;You are no longer afraid of this cold winter,this socks is very soft, breathable, durable and will keep your feet comfortable and warm,YZKKE wool thermal socks are suitable for different situation, you can wear them as office, school, hiking, outdoor, sport, indoor, home, work, heavy duty socks, dress, boot socks, christmas socks in Spring, fall, winter season or in any cold weather or snow areas!
- YZKKE is a manufacturer specialized imported socks,include baby socks,men socks,women socks,sports socks and so on.Reducing the middlemen,Our products direct from the factory to customers,We strive for providing good quality for you!
A knit sock is manufactured quite differently from other socks.
These knit socks are sewn a certain way to help you stay warm even in really cold weather.
Many knit socks are made with a wool fabric because they will stay even more comfortable long term.
36. Heated Socks
Are you someone who always has cold feet?
Chances are these socks could change things for you.
A heated sock is usually built with a rechargeable battery.
This allows you to bring these socks with you wherever you may need them and always have the warmest feet.
37. Five Finger Socks
- Superior Cotton Construction: Wick away moisture to keep your feet dry and comfortable.Easy to wash - Machine wash or hand wash in cold water.Air-dry,Do not bleach.
- Thin Designed a& One Size: Please kindly refer to US Men's shoe size 5-10.Women's shoe size 6-11.Excellent stretch,better fit.
- Perfect Companion for Toe Shoes: Our socks with toes are ideal for use as toe shoes socks.They keep each toe separated and spread,it is effective to prevent allergy and athlete's foot.Five finger socks with low cut design ensuring the socks do no show when you are wearing running shoes,sneakers or dress shoes.
- 5 Toe Socks for Men: Minimalist style performance toesock allows your toes to align and splay naturally.When used as toe shoes socks,our cotton toe socks men help reduce friction from your toes rubbing against each other,and your toes rubbing against your shoe.
- Great Gift Choice:Each Pack includes 4 pairs of Separate Socks.These 5 toe socks can be the wonderful gift for all beloved friends,family or any occasion,such as Birthday gift,Christmas gift,Valentine’s gift,etc.If you are not satisfied with our products,please contact us immediately,we will give you the best service.
Most socks on the market allow for one area that will keep all of your toes together.
The finger socks give you a unique hole to put each one of your toes in.
Many people like to wear these socks when they are running because it prevents your toes from rubbing together.
38. Waterproof Socks
- WATERPROOF & BREATHABLE: 100% waterproof lightweight membrane doesn't let the external water molecules enter the socks. RANDY SUN waterproof socks are designed with breathable Porelle membrane and COOLMAX fabric to wick sweat away from your skin, thus keeping feet cool and dry during sports and exercise.
- PERFORMANCE COMFORT FIT: Smooth toe seam eliminates bulky seams to reduce abrasion and provide extra blister protection. Deep heel cup style with full wrap let your socks not slip into boots or shoes.Ultra-light cushion sole provides comfort and great fit. Non slip ribbed top keeps the sock stay in place.
- OCCASION: Made of 100% high-tech material, the seamless, moisture-wicking socks are not only thermal and windproof, but also wear resistant and lightweight. These waterproof socks are especially applicable for hiking, backpacking, trekking, camping, trail running, fishing, mountain biking, hunting, skiing, snowboard and other outdoor sports and activities, even in various harsh environments. Best Christmas/Birthday/ Anniversary gifts for your friends and family.
- MATERIAL: Outer - 74% high waterproof nylon, 23% lycra,3% elastane; Interlayer - a high performance lightweight function of waterproof and breathable membrane; Lining - 64% coolmax,3% lycra,33% elastane
- WASH & CARE: Machine Wash and the water temperature should be below 40°C/ 104°F; Hand wash under normal temperature.Tumble dry below 60°C/ 140°F. Do not iron or dry clean. No distortion or color fading after multiple washings. Please note that the cuff of socks is not waterproof, so don't let water over the top of socks.
Waterproof socks will ensure that your feet stay as dry as possible.
Many people like to wear waterproof socks when they are hiking.
If some water gets into your shoe for some reason, the sock will help to protect your foot from getting wet as well.
39. Wallet Socks
- FEATURES: Comfort Toe, Lightweight, Achilles Cushion, Sport Stretch, Ruggedized Zipper Pocket
- BIKERS & RUNNERS: Store your keys, credit cards and cash quickly when going for a quick work out. Flippysox pocket tech ensures that your valuables will never fall out so that you can play more and worry less.
- ACTIVE PEOPLE: As a casual sport athlete, we understand that it’s tough to play at your best when you have to worry about where to put your valuables and money. Our stretchy and high performance sock provides a comfortable place to store and retrieve them fast!
- TRAVELERS: With a hidden pocket on your sock, your valuables will be safe from pick pocketers when you are travelling!
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE - We stand by the quality of all our socks & take care of our customers - No conditions. No questions asked. Every inch of this sock has been tested for maximum durability in extreme conditions. If you have any problems, please contact us for a full refund or a free replacement.
Making sure that you have a place to store your belongings is important.
With wallet socks, you can store your credit cards and cash in your sock.
This is an excellent choice if you are wearing athletic shorts that don’t have any pockets.
40. Yoga Socks
Yoga socks are different than other socks in that they allow the toes to be free.
The sock will cover most of your foot but not the toes.
The toes are kept open so that the person doing yoga has a bit more friction and grip when getting into the positions that they need to achieve.
Hopefully, you now see that there are many different types of socks on the market.
Depending on what you need the socks for, chances are there is a solution that will work for your needs.
Most people are going to have several different types of socks in their drawers.
One pair will not be enough to cover the needs of exercising, sleeping, relaxing, work, and getting dressed up.