Heading out to the beach can be a great deal of fun, but you must make sure that you are well prepared.
If you don’t have the right equipment with you, chances are you are going to be uncomfortable, and your beach day may be quite a bit shorter than you had hoped.
One of the most important pieces of beach equipment to have is the proper beach chair.
However, there are so many different types of beach chairs on the market, it can be hard to narrow them down.
25 Types Of Beach Chairs
1. Low Sling Beach Chair
The low sling beach chair is going to sit very close to the ground and have more of a reclining feel to it.
With the low sling chair, you will feel almost as though you are sitting on the sand, but you will be somewhat raised above the sand.
These chairs typically fold up relatively small and are easy to transport to the beach.
They are available in several different colors and often have unique features that set them apart from one another.
We love the fact that the low sling beach chairs allow you to enjoy the sand as much as possible while staying off of it.
The only downside to a low sling beach chair is the fact that it will be a bit hard to get in and out of.
2. Camping Portable Chair
Camping chairs can also make an excellent choice for beach days.
A camping chair will typically have the required cup holder and sometimes even a book holder for those days spent on the beach.
Camping chairs typically fold up into a tube-like shape and you can place them in a bag to carry around with you.
The good thing about camping chairs is that they can be a more normal height.
Even with the sand being less firm, you will have no issues getting in and out of a camping chair on the beach.
Choose something sturdy, so the legs stay in place on the unstable ground.
3. Adjustable Back Beach Chair
Just because a beach chair is lightweight and easy to carry to your spot does not mean that it has to be uncomfortable.
The adjustable back beach chair is quite easy to work with, and you can set this chair in several different positions.
Having different positions will help keep your back comfortable and allow you a place both to eat and to sleep on the beach.
Chairs with adjustable backs are sometimes heavier, so it’s important to choose something you know you can carry.
4. Tech Camping Chair
A tech camping chair is a good choice for those who like the concept of a camping chair for the beach but don’t quite need all of that functionality.
The tech camping chair is a lower profile option, and it is truly more comfortable and easier to carry.
These will sit closer to the ground than the low sling, but they are a great option for your next beach day.
5. Lounger Beach Chair
A lounger beach chair looks a bit like a towel with a backrest.
This chair is going to lie flat on the ground, but it will do a great job of keeping the sand off of you and keeping your back elevated.
Something like this will work for the park as well as the beach.
The major benefit of the lounger beach chair is that it is so lightweight and easy to carry, it feels as though you are barely traveling with anything.
6. Reclining Beach Chair
- To recline, lift armrests and adjust while seated. To pack up, turn over and bring legs together
- With 2 side pockets, bottle holder, and underseat pouch, everything you need is within reach
- Sling-style seat means no hard bar digging into your legs
- Compact carrying size (25.2" x 4.25" x 27.76") yet generous seating capacity when open (24.5" x 26.5" x 31.25")
- Padded carry handle and backpack straps for added convenience.
Typically, a reclining beach chair is priced a bit higher than other beach chairs on the market.
This is because of the technology incorporated into the beach chair and all that it can do.
For a beach chair to recline and also to allow it to hold up over time instead of breaking down due to salt and rust is quite impressive.
If you are buying a reclining chair, it makes sense to choose something of higher quality.
7. Backpack Folding Beach Chair
A backpack folding beach chair is a very smart invention.
With this chair, you will be able to have both of your hands free while walking to your spot on the beach.
The backpack chairs come in a variety of different styles and designs, but they are all easy to carry, and they make quite a bit of sense when you know you will have a lot of gear to carry.
They even make these in smaller sizes for kids to walk around with.
8. Steel Oversized Chairs
If you are someone who heads to the beach once a year, chances are a steel heavy duty oversized chair is not necessary.
However, for those who spend a good portion of their lives on the beach, a steel chair is a smart choice.
Saltwater can do quite a bit of damage to all of your beach gear over time.
If your equipment is not made with the proper materials, it will not last.
9. High Back Beach Chair
If you are a taller person, it can be hard to find a beach chair that can accommodate your height.
The majority of these chairs stop at the middle of the back, and this can end up causing some discomfort for a taller person.
The high back beach chair is great for those who enjoy reading on the beach as well.
You can support your entire head while you are looking at the pages of a book.
Higher back beach chairs typically tend to weigh a bit more, so you should keep this in mind.
10. Kid’s Reclining Beach Chair
Although kids can sit in a typical beach chair, what is the point of lugging all of that extra weight down the beach?
If you have small kids, don’t feel the need to bring oversized chairs for them.
Instead, take a look at a beach chair that is the perfect size for a child, which will be much easier to carry and give them their own little spot to set up on the beach.
Kids tend to like things that are built for their own size, and they also enjoy a place to sit out of the sand.
11. Handheld Beach Chair
- Bottle sized outdoor chairs for anywhere: The Cliq foldable chair is almost the size of your drink bottle, making them great folding chairs for outside, as you can take them anywhere conveniently.
This one is a new release on the market, and it may surprise you when you see how small it can get.
This type of chair folds up almost small enough to fit in your hand.
Although you may find that this particular option is not going to be heavy duty enough for you, there is no question that it solves an issue in the current market of beach chairs.
12. Headrest Beach Chair
We talked about the importance of a high back beach chair for taller people who want to stay comfortable, but a headrest will take the comfort to a new level.
With a headrest on your beach chair, it’s almost like bringing a pillow to the beach.
You will be able to stay comfortable while watching the water, relaxing, or reading your book.
Headrest beach chairs are popular with those who spend many hours on the beach relaxing.
13. High Seat Beach Chair
- 4 POSITIONS: Sit back and relax at the beach or beside the pool with this 4-position reclining beach lounge chair
- HEADREST INCLUDED: Includes headrest for maximum comfort
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: Made to stand up to the hot summer sun, water splashes, and transport to and from your vehicle with a rust-proof and lightweight aluminum frame, solid hardwood armrests, and rugged polyester fabric seat
- SITS 17 INCHES OFF GROUND: Sits 17 inches off the ground to keep you out of the sand and surf
- SUPPORTS UP TO 300 POUNDS: Supports up to 300 pounds of person and beach gear
Have you ever walked down the beach and looked at people who seemed to be sitting higher than everyone else?
The chances are it’s because they were actually sitting in a higher chair.
High-seat beach chairs make it easier for those who can’t bend down so well to get in and out of a chair.
A high seat beach chair also gives you a great view of the ocean in front of you.
If you want to feel even more comfortable than you do at your own home, the high seat could be a good choice.
14. Folding Elevated Lounge Chair
This lounge chair is elevated from the ground.
There are other folding lounge chair choices that will lie flat on the ground, and you will not have much support.
This feels like a typical beach chair, except that you will have an area to rest your legs as well.
These are a bit more cumbersome to fold up, but many agree it is worth the extra few minutes.
15. Canopy Beach Chair
A canopy beach chair comes with a shade protection that goes above the head.
If you are worried about your exposure to the sun on the beach, this is a very smart option to consider.
The shade protection is an excellent choice if you are not going to bring an umbrella to the beach with you.
Instead, you can use the coverage of your chair to get a bit of a break from the sun.
16. Zero Gravity Beach Chair
The zero gravity beach chair is an excellent choice for those who have back issues.
As you know, the zero gravity chair allows you to feel almost like you are floating at the beach.
These chairs have some advanced technology and comfort and often cost a bit more than a typical beach or camping chair.
The zero gravity beach chair also has wider armrests for you to use.
17. Beach Chair Cart
If you are not a fan of lugging your gear across the beach, this is the chair for you.
The beach chair comes with its own set of wheels that are designed to help you easily navigate the sand.
You can fill the beach chair cart with some of your other belongings and then just pull everything to your spot.
An option like this will a bit better on a beach that has more compact sand.
18. Towel Bar Beach Chair
Have you ever wondered where you should be storing your towel while you sit on the beach?
Many people put the towel behind them, but this is not always the best choice when the towel is wet.
If you want a great place to hang your towel to keep it out of the way while it is drying, look for a towel bar beach chair.
The towel bar will allow the towel a perfect place to hang and dry while you relax in your comfortable beach chair.
19. Inflatable Beach Chair
No products found.
No products found.
The inflatable lounger couches are becoming more and more popular on the beach.
This is really a great choice for those who like to sleep when they are on the beach.
Due to the size of this beach chair, this is a better option for a long day on the beach or if you live very close to the spot where you will be spending time.
You can wait until you get to your location before blowing this beach chair up, and that should save a bit of frustration.
When dealing with anything inflatable, always make sure that the area under the chair is free of any debris.
The last thing you want to do is pop this chair the very first time you take it out to use it.
20. Beach Chair With Cup Holder
No products found.
When you are drinking a cold drink on the beach, traditionally, there will be some condensation on your cup or can.
When you put this down in the sand, the sand will stick to it.
This becomes frustrating as you try and reach for another sip with your entire hand covered in sand.
The best way to avoid a situation like this is a beach chair with a cup holder.
With a cup holder in place, you can simply store your drink near your hand away from the sand and keep things much neater as you enjoy your time on the beach.
21. Wide Beach Chair
- LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABLE : Weighs 6.8 lbs. Heavy Duty beach chair made using Rugged 600 Denier Polyester fabric, triple coated for quick dry; Anodized Aluminum frame for extended durability and rust resistance. Folded Dimensions (inches) 37.5L x 29.7W x 6.7H
- STYLE & COMFORT: 4 easily adjustable reclining positions. HIGH SEAT of 17 inches from the ground with higher backrest ; Adjustable Shoulder Strap to carry included.
- WIDE SEAT & TALL BACK: Seat Dimensions (inches) 21W x 17 Deep and Seat Back Interior Height of 29.5 inches; Overall height of 42.5 inches from the ground.
- HIGHER WEIGHT CAPACITY of 300 lbs ; 21.5 inches between durable wood armrests with a marine-grade coating to resist sun and salt ; Built-In drink holder and storage pouch under the seat.
- UNIQUE AND FUNCTIONAL: Zipper Cell Pouch (plus storage pouch) with clear view sleeve to control your smart phone from outside of pouch, headphone opening, flap to conceal your cell phone. Foldable Cushioned headrest; Built-In drink holder and storage pouch under the seat.
When purchasing a beach chair, one of the most important things to keep in mind is the width of the chair.
If your chair is not wide enough for you to fit in, there will be no ability to adjust the chair.
Some companies will make their chairs more affordable by choosing to make the chair smaller in scale.
Avoid the issues associated with this and pay attention to dimensions when you purchase your beach chair.
There are plenty of wider options available to allow for a roomier fit as you spend your next days on the beach.
22. Double Beach Chair
Safstar Double Camping Chair, Folding Camping Chair with Canopy Shade & Mini Table, Beverage Cup Holder Carrying Bag, Camp Canopy Chairs, 2-Person Loveseat Camping Chair for Adult Outdoors Sport, Blue
If you are never alone when you head to the beach, the double beach chair with a canopy is a smart choice.
This is an all-in-one option that comes in a nice and easy-to-use carrying case.
With a double beach chair, you also get some additional space in the center to use as a cooler or storage.
If you and your family spend a lot of time on the beach, this is a chair that will get plenty of use.
23. Traditional Sling Chair
If you want your beach setup to look like one at a high-end beachfront resort, the traditional sling chair is a great choice.
This is a clean and classic looking style that offers just enough functionality and comfort.
Since the chair is a sling style, it is relatively lightweight to carry.
24. Beach Chair With Organizer
- HIGH QUALITY OF MATERIAL : Made of high grade oxford cloth, durable, wear-resistant and easy to clean, lining with fine seams & nice stitching.
- MULTI POCKETS : This armrest bag measures 13"*13". Large capacity contains 1 main zippered pocket (for holding your tablet, ereader or book) +2 covered pouch ( holding cellphone, earplug, cash, key, card etc) + 1 mesh holder bag (organizing drinks/ water bottle)+ 1 sunglasses hanging loop strap.
- PERFECT ORGANIZER : Keep your personal stuff organized and anti-lost design, easy access to reach. Very functional when you go outdoor beaching camping hiking etc.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAP : Comes with adjustable straps with quick snap buckles for a custom snug fit, it can also be used as shoulder bag and fashion tote. With multiple applications, more convenient.
- EASY TO USE : Engineered specifically to attach to the arm of your beach chair, two adjustable lengths of buckle straps can be quickly and easily assembled into most standard chairs, bench, couch, rocker, sports chair etc.
If you have trouble keeping track of your keys, wallet, phone, and supplies while you are at the beach, an organizer chair makes complete sense.
This chair will have several pockets on the side that allow you to keep your belongings organized and free of sand.
The impressive thing about these beach chairs with organizers is that you can clean and empty them after a day to ensure something like your phone stays free of sand.
25. Beach Chair With Side Table
Last but certainly not least is a beach chair and side table combo.
This is an excellent option for those who plan on serving a meal at the beach.
If you need an area to prep your food or keep your belongings while you are in the water, this is a great option to consider.
Overall, there are lots of different beach chairs on the market, and they all serve different purposes.
Try to find something that will check all the boxes, so you enjoy a great day on the beach.NEXT: 24 Types Of Beach Toys (Differences, Size, Color, Appearance)