They don’t feel particularly optimistic about retaining their top infielder, but they aren’t pessimistic either: they know anything can happen.
Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy said on Wednesday that the team is still “engaged” with Bogaerts and feel like a door is still open.
“On the idea of Bogaerts severing ties with Red Sox: ‘I don’t have that impression but all we can go by is our desire to bring him back.’ He hasn’t told you he’s done talking? ‘Nope.’ Wouldn’t say if Sox will have chance to match outside offers,” Red Sox insider Chris Cotillo tweeted.
On the idea of Bogaerts severing ties with Red Sox: “I don’t have that impression but all we can go by is our desire to bring him back.”
He hasn’t told you he’s done talking?
Wouldn’t say if Sox will have chance to match outside offers. https://t.co/ox0BvsOozh
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) November 30, 2022
Judging by Kennedy’s quotes, it seems like the Red Sox do have a chance to retain their star, but don’t look like the favorites.
Red Sox Fans Are Worried About Losing Their Star
Fans have every reason to be worried: Bogaerts led the team with 6.1 Wins Above Replacement (WAR) and hit .307/.377/.456 with 15 home runs, 38 doubles, and a .833 OPS in 2022.
Losing him would be catastrophic for a franchise that wants to compete in 2023.
MLB teams are actually in a better position to spend money than last year: the competitive balance tax is higher and there is no CBA or lockout-related uncertainty.
The Red Sox know they will have to spend a lot to get Bogaerts to sign.
If they want to be competitive in 2023, however, they have to.
The Red Sox’s offseason starts and ends with Bogaerts.
The 2018 World Series champion has all the leverage.