The Oakland Athletics have become the laughingstocks of Major League Baseball.
Here, we have a team that plays in a big-market city but operates as a small-market organization.
Rarely in recent years have the A’s experienced any sort of success.
After an 86-76 finish to the 2021 season, owner John Fisher decided it was time to tear down, despite having reached the postseason in the three previous seasons.
Fisher has been the owner of the A’s since 2005, when he purchased the team for $180 million.
The A’s are now valued at $1.18 billion.
Yet Fisher continues to trade away the team’s assets and not spend any money on free agents, as one MLB analyst pointed out.
Oakland A's owner John Fisher deserves 90% of the blame for this disaster. The other 10% goes to MLB.
John Fisher is a business man. The A's are an asset. Nothing more.
He purchased the team for $180 million in 2005. It's now valued at $1.18 billion and he hasn't spent a dime.
— Danny Vietti (@DannyVietti) December 12, 2022
MLB Analyst Roasts A’s
The Athletics have had a few successful seasons, but for the most part, they have failed miserably.
Now, the team appears to be on the verge of potentially leaving Oakland and heading to Las Vegas instead.
This is all because of Fisher being unwilling to do anything to improve his team.
None of that money has been used to sign any free agents.
Now, with Sean Murphy gone, the A’s are in desperate straits.
They did acquire a few prospects, but Fisher still refuses to sign any free agents or make any meaningful trades that may have a positive impact on the team.
Oakland lost 102 games during the regular season and finished tied with the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates for the second-worst record in all of baseball.
At this point, the A’s don’t have much hope.